Sunday, October 6, 2013

Straight Line


Joe was an athlete, plain and simple. It had been his father’s life-long dream to play in the NFL before his leg injury curtailed all that, but he instilled in Joe from when he was barely able to form sentences just how important sports were. Some kids got action figures, gaming consoles, even movies. But all Joe ever expected to get, all he ever wanted to get, was a football and some sports gear. Maybe even a customized water bottle or two. That was his life, and he accepted it wholeheartedly.
Joe was the type to accept anything thrown at him, whether he was capable of taking it on or not. When he worked at his family’s farm, which lasted until he had moved off to college, he’d always double up on his duties to make sure the work got done and that his body was getting the excessive workout it needed to make it in the big leagues. With the debt his family had gotten themselves saddled with, some shady business that Joe didn’t pay much attention to, they couldn’t afford any membership to a gym, and the cheap schools the family could afford for Joe never offered many chances for sport. So Joe worked, and continued working even after his legs had that stinging feeling, when they’re saying “We’re going to cave in any minute. You should probably stop.” But Joe didn’t stop. He had to be the best, be strong and fast, if he wanted any hope of getting into a college where he could make it.
He couldn’t very much rely on his grades. He understood basic math and sciences, but English always killed him. He wasn’t much of a reader, and any subtleties or meanings that lay hidden behind the barriers known as words and sentences were lost on him. Homework was a problem too, as he often forgot about it in the midst of doing chores and helping around the house. Whatever homework got done was nothing more than a rush Joe did in the morning after a heavy sleep.
“Joe, honey, you can just leave this to me.” His petite yet stern mother would often tell him. Joe didn’t listen to her. "You're overworking yourself Joe! You always say you're fine but I just know that if this keeps up you'll just kill yourself!" Screamed his mother in a tone unbecoming of her stature and nature. But Joe remained stoic, retorting "I'm fine." "Joe, I know what you're trying to do. I know that this is about your father..."
It was this one statement caused Joe to shift his simple gaze on his mother into a cold, hard, stare. "Don't say anything about things you don't understand mom," spouted Joe, only barely raising his voice a decibel and on the tip of showing emotion. "Huh?" "I can do this, I want this, I have to do this. It's that simple. Don't force yourself out of sympathy for me. If you get hurt doing that, I'll tell you from experience that I will feel a lot worse than if I injured myself. So, if you could just get out of the way..." "Joe, I...” his mother was at a loss for words, and Joe merely pushed her to the side. "Out of the way please mother. I have to work.”  
His father never said a word about his overworking himself or his fixation on making it in Pro Football, but that’s because he knew full well. Why Joe was doing this, why Joe was so obsessed with the game, why it had consumed him. Of course he knew, for that’s how he raised Joe. Joe sometimes pondered if his father was ever proud of what Joe was doing with his life, but the thought quickly faded as there were more important things to think about. His father didn’t express much at all, either through words or his face, similar to Joe’s in some ways.  The amount of real conversations the two had held together in one month could probably be counted on one hand.
Joe’s father couldn’t work much thanks to his injury, and around the time Joe had heard about the families debt problems was when his father became a lot more quiet. The fondest memory Joe can think of with his father were the practices they had outside the house, a time when his father seemed more full of life and hope. His father had a smile on his face, an expression that seemed foreign to Joe in the present, and spoke of nothing but encouragement for Joe, such as “Keep moving straight Joe! Thatta boy, you’re getting it now! Work a bit harder on that pass okay? Keep it up Joe, I know you’ll make it to the big time for sure!” Joe’s father had taught him the value of hard work and had imposed that he had to do much of the family chores, partly because of the injury and partly because Joe needed to get stronger fast.
All that work did have irrefutable benefits, as Joe’s body could easily attest. His muscles are huge and bulging, to such a degree that one could even see Joe’s nerves in the instances where he wore a short sleeve shirt. His legs are nice and long, perfect for running and jogging, and they’ve gained strength and durability from the being overworked. Joe didn’t eat extravagantly, and when he did eat it was usually something simple and small. As a result, his abs and stomach area were near the level of quality one sees in A-list movie actors. But his face had nothing distinguishable about it, a plain face inherited from his mother, aside from a few cuts and bruises from working on the farm and at football practice.
Making friends and acquaintances was never a big deal for Joe before college. The most he had ever thought about the subject was the last day of high school, where his fellow classmates greeted each other with various versions of  “It’s been a pleasure!” “Keep in touch!” “Where are you going for college?” No one came to Joe though, or when they did, it lacked the same passion. That may have been Joe’s one regret in the life he lived, a life chasing a lost dream that was not his own.  He’d always self-justified it to himself that he didn’t have the time to make friends, and that he should focus on sports and his family before anything else. Depending on the day, or how his body felt, that statement either rang true or rang hollow.  
There wasn’t much to take with him to college because he didn’t really own much. There were football memorabilia of course, some inherited from his father, some he got for himself with what little funds he had for himself. After walking in on his mother sobbing at the kitchen table, Joe decided not to take any. He had gotten a sports scholarship to attend UC Irvine, thus dealing with the matter of money in terms of his college journey, and now he was one step closer to achieving his fathers dream… his dream. His parents saw him off at the airport in a rough sort of manner, with not much said through words but plenty through expressions and actions.
It was on the plane that Joe asked himself the same question the recruiter had, “Why do you like football?” Joe honestly couldn’t think of an answer. Having to play football, having to work hard and push himself to the limit, had just been engrained to him since birth. His father didn’t have to beat it into him, but all the same he pushed it on Joe well before he could ever have been aware of such high concepts as “life choices,” “careers,” or the wonderful “what one wants to do in life.” It was then, and only then, that Joe actually questioned whether what he done all his life had been right or had really benefited him as a person. Whether he was really going off to achieve his dream. But while the plane took off, he began drifting into sleep before he could ever really think. 

9 comments:

  1. Dear Matthew,

    I really enjoyed the idea of your story. I definitely got a feel for what kind of kid Joe is. Joe is dedicated to sports and finds that nothing else is as important as reaching the goal of becoming an NFL player.
    This story is about a teenage boy, Joe, and his everyday struggle to be the best he can be out on the football field. He does anything he feels will get him one step closer to the pros. I became aware of this right at the beginning of the story where it says, “It had been his father’s life-long dream to play in the NFL before his leg injury curtailed all that, but he instilled in Joe from when he was barely able to form sentences just how important sports were”. Right from the start I know that this story is going to be about a son trying to fulfill his father’s dream.
    The character wants to, “achieve his father’s dream… his dream.” I really like this line in your story because it shows that in fact the only reason it has become his dream is because he wants to make his father proud. His father is living his dream through his son and Joe doesn’t want to be a disappointment. I feel that Joe might think that football and the dream to be an NFL player is the only connection he has to his father and he doesn’t want to lose that.
    Yes I am rooting for this character. But, I am not so much rooting for him to achieve the goal of becoming an NFL player. I am rooting for him to find what he wants in life, not what his father wants for him.
    I found that the details really gave me a mental picture of how this kid looks and how he might act. By the details given, I really see him as a stern individual on the surface, but a caring person underneath.
    Yes, there is conflict. The conflict is that Joe and his family has low funds and so Joe has to find other ways of achieving his dream to become an NFL player. Another conflict arises at the end of the story as Joe begins to question if the dream he is heading towards is actually his dream and what he wants, or is it simply what his father wants? If so, does he want it to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Matthew,
    I liked reading your story and could immediately identify with the character even though he is nothing like me. I know someone very similar to him in the aspect that football is his life and he’s been working very hard toward getting a scholarship to go to school. He’s even referred to football as “the only time he is happy”. I think that’s truly sad but that is much like your character.
    I can easily tell what your character wants, to play football in the major leagues and to ultimately make his father proud but there isn’t a prominent struggle present. I couldn't see a conflict or a real argument going on other than the one between Joe and his mother. That was very quick and although I could tell that there was a deeper meaning behind it, I would have preferred it to really be told to the reader rather than just showing. A few sentences after explaining how his mother truly felt about the father would have helped to clear things up.
    I liked the piece as a whole but in particular one line stuck out to me. “Depending on the day, or how his body felt, that statement either rang true or rang hollow”. This line gave me absolute chills for some reason. To use the word hollow it’s so deep. Using empty is what someone would normally do but the word hollow makes me feel like I can really feel it too. It’s much deeper than just sad or upset, it means that there is nothing, he feels nothing but numb. Overall, the story was great. There could have been more conflict or perhaps a little deeper description of Joe’s feelings other than wanting football such as the yearning for friends part. But, I thought that it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Matthew,
    I did enjoy Joe as a character. He seems like a dedicated guy who wants to please his father, and this I and I think most people can relate to. You did a good job of including "Joe was the type of person that..." which helped me get to know his character better. I, however, think that your descriptions of how he looks were a little vague. They lacked unique aspects that are specific to Joe. Also, be careful of the tenses you are using. You often switch between present and past tense which is confusing for the reader.
    Proofreading is big here. I think it would really help to read your stuff out loud because some of your word choices ands sentence structures are a little hard to read. For example, you say that Joe's dad had a "lifelong dream to play in the NFL, but the injury curtailed all that." I don't think that curtail is the right word there. Also, you say that his father "instilled in Joe from when he was barely able to form sentences just how important sports were." This sentence is a little awkward and could use some reworking. On another note, you often embed quotes like you would in an essay rather than in short story. Finally, I would recommend adding a dramatic scene in here that really changes Joe's mind about football. Right now, you have that he gets on a plane and then questions why he likes football. There is no arc there, no story.
    I think that this has a lot of potential! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Matthew,

    As I was writing down notes while reading your story, I noticed I wrote way more pros than cons. Your story is wonderful -- it has so much emotion, life, and potential. Joe is extremely relatable, despite the fact that I’ve never been in his situation. The character sketches are great, with single sentences telling us so much: “Joe was the type to accept anything thrown at him, whether he was capable of taking it on or not.” We see understand Joe’s character through his actions, the way his classmates treat him, how defensive he is of his life path.

    I admire your use of short flashback scene to tell more story. We see how Joe’s father has shaped his desires, how Joe’s “spine” is not really his own. This is shown even further when Joe describes football as “his father’s dream... his dream.”

    As for things to fix, I would work on dialogue format, to make it easier to read. There are a few grammar errors, and there’s room for improvement on sentence structure and word choice. I’d really recommend focusing on Joe’s struggle with what he wants and what his father wants. The cliffhanger was interesting, but I think Joe needs more doubt throughout the story as a whole. Maybe sprinkle more “his father’s dream... his dream”-like sentences and ideas into the story.

    This was a great read and I was genuinely hooked until the end. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,
    I think that the problem you bring up in your story is definitely relevant in the lives of many high-school aged athletes around the country. Their parents push them so much in sports that it consumes their life and becomes something they do for their parents; not themselves. Just like in the relationship between Joe and his father, child athlete/parent conversations can be very superficial and surface level, and the child will do anything to please their parent.
    You told a very east-to-follow story about this problem. It is a relatable problem for many people, and I think you describe it very well. I do wish, however, that Joe would take a moment before he drifts off to sleep to think about why--or even IF--he does like football. I wish the reader was able to get a better feel for Joe's opinions on the path he is taking in life, not his father's opinions. But a very well-told story!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Matthew,
    First of all, you did a really good job on this story. Joe is a character that many people can relate to in that he is trying to make his parents proud of him. He is obviously a character with a lot of drive and he's been very strong willed since he was a child. I think we got a lot of background on his home life, which is helpful. Joe puts up a front to others though, and I think what you need to work on is letting the reader see past his front. We all know what type of person he is, which is an important place to start, and the story holds your interest because of that.
    I think the best part of the story was when we started to get deeper into Joe's head and his emotions. I know he is motivated to achieve his father's goals for him, but I really liked it when he started to question whether those were his goals for himself as well. I think this is what you were getting at when you said Joe was going to, "achieve his father’s dream… his dream.” That, to me, is where the spine of the story lies. I would like to see Joe realize that he needs to lead his life for himself, and I would like to find out what Joe's own dream ends up being. One other thing is, I think you could elaborate more on the conflict with his mother. I want to root for Joe, but I'd like to see more of his vulnerability, and what he will eventually use to motivate himself other than pleasing his father. You have excellent potential with this story- take it one step further. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Matt,

    I really thought your story was very good. It kept me engaged and I wanted to learn more about the character and what is going to happen to him in the future. I'm curious to know whether he'll continue with football or quit, and if so, how he'll afford college tuition and what direction he'll take his life in.

    The character is also very realistic and convincing. I've known people in my own life that devote their lives to sports because it's what their parents want for them. I really got a sense of Joe's personality and his relationship with his parents.

    The only critique I have is that some of the dialogue doesn't flow very well. Smoother transitions would make for an easier reading experience. There were also a few grammatical errors that could easily be fixed.

    Overall, I really enjoyed your story! Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Matthew,

    Your character seems like the perfect build for a romantic novel haha. But that’s not what this. The difference in a romantic novel is that the character know what they want (usually its another person). But your character, I never really knew what he wanted. I mean we know that he wanted to work and make his father happy, but I know that most of us will not take that as an answer.

    Another thing, we never got into the mind of the character. We did a little, with the dialogue between Joe and his mother, how he had a stern feeling towards doing all the work around the house. But I mean what are Joe’s interests outside of work? Like when he is doing work does he ever stop to look at the birds flying or the cloud formations? Does Joe dream? Does Joe have any friends? These are the kind of things that I want to know about.

    As for plot, I think it’s a pretty compelling story, I just don’t really see the trouble happening. I mean you say that his entire life Joe has been working hard to fulfill his father’s broken dreams, but then what? The recruiter making Joe think about a question doesn’t really shock me, considering “playing for parents” is an answer that a lot of recruiters probably get.

    Also, for the sake of realism, I would choose a different school than UC Irvine. I mean Matt, they don’t even have a football team…..

    But it was pretty good overall. I hope that you take criticism positively and use it to make your story even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Matthew,

    I know everyone has already said this, but I'm going to say it again. I like how your story is relatable. Your story is realistic and it can develop into a very powerful one. I wanna see where Joe gets his other motivation besides the fact that his dad wants him to go for football. I'd be interesting to know more about Joe's relationship with his mother.
    I also think your story needs more of a conflict. Also, I would have liked to see Joe think more before he fell asleep on the plane.
    Overall, good story! Make sure you pick another college though because UC Irvine doesn't have football. I think UCLA would be a better school to pick because they go hardcore in football.

    ReplyDelete